Hop til hovedindhold

Your residence

You will need to sign up for some services when moving into your residence.

Frequently Asked Questions

  • When you rent housing, expenses for, for example, electricity and water consumption are most often not included in the rent. How much you will have to pay depends on how much you consume.

    Your home is equipped with meters, which record your consumption. You can read the meters yourself and you must report the readings to the utility companies once a year and when moving in and moving out.

    How to report meters

    Reporting meters can often be done online or by phone. The necessary information – customer number and recipient number – is marked on your bill.

    Central heating might be included in your rent as a monthly payment in advance. Once a year, the actual amount of consumed heating is read by a company. Typically, they will post a note in your hallway on when to expect their visit. If you are not able to be there, you will be asked to give your keys to a neighbour or the building’s caretaker.

    Leaving a residence

    You must read your meters before you move out and inform your provider. Otherwise you risk paying for more than you have consumed and you will be held responsible for the consumption until the next resident registers as a consumer.

    Content fetched from lifeindenmark.borger.dk
  • Electricity in Denmark is 230 Volts and the electrical frequency is 50 Hertz. If you bring an electrical appliance to Denmark that does not accept 230 Volts at 50 Hertz, you will need a voltage converter.

    These 2 types of plugs are most common in Denmark:

    • Plug C: Popularly known as the Euro plug. It is a 2-pin unearthed plug
    • Plug K: Has 2 round pins and a spade grounding pin.

    In residences, general transportable 230 V class I electrical appliances, for example coffee machines, irons and toasters need not be fitted with an earthed plug. If the socket has no earth connection, the ground wire cannot be connected and it is therefore necessary to ensure that the socket is protected by means of ground fault circuit breakers (HFI/HPFI).

    Content fetched from lifeindenmark.borger.dk
  • Depending on where you live, waste containers are usually placed in your courtyard or basement. Please ask the landlord for detailed information on how to handle your waste.

    • If you rent your home, waste handling is included in the monthly rent.
    • If you own your home, you pay an annual fee to the municipality.

    Recycling schemes

    All citizens are required to sort their daily household waste for recycling.

    All flats have shared waste containers for plastic, paper, cardboard, metal, glass, food waste and residual waste. Other waste like wood, electronics waste and hazardous waste should be delivered at recycling centres – find your local recycling center here.

    During 2022 villas and townhouses will also receive a new container with two compartments each for: food waste and residual waste. You will be notified about the new containers through Digital Post.

    There are also municipal collection schemes for garden waste and bulky waste like for example old furniture and broken fridges. If you are a house owner, you can sign up for these at www.rudersdal.dk/affald.


    Deposit and return systems

    In Denmark, you pay a deposit ('pant' in Danish) each time you buy drinks in cans or bottles with a deposit mark. You can get your deposit back by returning empty cans and bottles using reversed vending machines in the supermarkets.

    Learn more about waste handling here:

    Sorting Guide

    Fact sheet about the recycling scheme for house owners

    Find your local recycling centres‌ (in Danish only)

  • If your residence is rented, you may receive housing benefits from Udbetaling Danmark to pay the rent. It depends on a number of conditions whether you can get housing benefits. It depends for example on how much you pay in rent, how many children and adults live there, and what total income is for all who live in the dwelling.

    Please contact Udbetaling Danmark if you wish to apply for housing benefits:

    Contact Udbetaling Danmark by phone +45 70 12 80 63

    You can check to see if you are entitled to housing benefits, and you can also apply for housing benefits via the self-service. The self-service is in Danish, but you can find English instructions to help you:

    Content fetched from lifeindenmark.borger.dk
  • If you are moving from one address in Denmark to another address in Denmark, you have to inform the authorities.

    The online self-service is primarily in Danish (depending on which municipality you live in or are about to move to), but you can always get help to fill it in at the local Citizen Service centre. Remember to book an appointment. Or maybe you know a Danish speaking person, who can help you. You need MitID to be able to use to the self-service:

    Remember to bring your MitID, if you need help with a self-service at the local Citizen Service centre.

    You can at the earliest inform the authorities of your change of address 4 weeks before you move and it must be done no later than 5 days after you have moved to your new home.

    Content fetched from lifeindenmark.borger.dk