Hop til hovedindhold

FAQ for refugees

Here are answers to several questions that make it easier to be a new resident and a refugee in Denmark.

Worth knowing for refugees in Denmark

  • As a refugee, the Municipality of Rudersdal will find accommodation for you. You may be given temporary accommodation where you can live briefly until the Municipality finds you a dwelling in which you may live as long as you want.

    You will pay rent for temporary accommodation as follows:

    • Single person with or without children: DKK 2.467 per month*
    • Couple without children: DKK 4.520 per month
    • Couple with 1–3 children: DKK 4.932 per month
    • Couple with four or more children: DKK 5.343 per month
  • If you want to apply for family reunification, read more about this at New to Denmark.

    Family reunification​ (New to Denmark)

    The website has information about how to apply to be reunited with your spouse or cohabiting partner, children or other family members, the documents required to be submitted with the application and the requirements for applying.

    Rudersdal Service Center must sign your application form

    The Municipality of Rudersdal must sign your application form. Please call the Rudersdal Service Centre to get an appointment, tel. +45 46 11 00 00.

    Unfortunately, the Municipality of Rudersdal cannot help you complete the application form. To get help, please contact the Danish Refugee Council.

    Contact Danish Refugee Council

  • As a refugee in Denmark, you must sign a declaration on integration and active citizenship in Denmark. This is a condition for being granted permanent residence in Denmark.

    The purpose of the declaration is:

    • to make the values of Danish society visible to you; and
    • to make you familiar with what Danish society expects of you, including learning that you must make an effort to be integrated as a participating and contributing resident on an equal footing with others.
  • Denmark has mutual obligation of support between spouses. This means that your income and that of your spouse or cohabiting partner are pooled for determining eligibility for social security (cash benefit) or housing benefit. Social security (cash benefit) is financial assistance provided when you cannot support yourself or your family because of unemployment or illness. Housing benefit is a subsidy to help you pay your rent.

    If you have questions about social security (cash benefit), contact the social security (cash benefit) teams of the Rudersdal Service Centres, tel.: +45 4611 0000 or e-mail: ydelsesomraadet@rudersdal.dk.

    Go to borger.dk to learn more about housing benefit (in Danish).

     Go to Housing benefit (borger.dk)

  • If you pass the Danish 2 Examination, an examination equivalent to the Danish 2 Examination or a higher-level examination in Danish,* you are eligible for a supplementary benefit to the integration benefit based on proficiency in Danish of up to DKK 1.620 per month.

    Note, however, that your integration benefit including the supplementary benefit to the integration benefit based on proficiency in Danish may not exceed what you would be entitled to if you were eligible for the Danish student grant or social security (cash benefit).

    *An equivalent higher-level examination in Danish could be passing the final exam in Danish in grades 9 or 10 of primary and lower-secondary school (Folkeskole) with an average grade of 6 (on the former 13-point grading scale) or 02 on the 7-point grading scale (grades received for neatness do not count).

    You can also take the courses at VUC Lyngby (an adult education centre).

    Go to VUC Lyngby

    Higher-level examinations in Danish that also qualify include a final examination from a general (STX), commercial (HHX) or technical (HTX) upper-secondary school, Higher Preparatory Examination (HF) or a higher-level degree.

    You must apply for the supplementary benefit to the integration benefit based on proficiency in Danish via the digital self-service system used to apply for social security (cash benefit). See the link below on this page.

    ‌Apply for social security‌ 

    You must attach your examination certificate that qualifies you to receive the supplementary benefit to the integration benefit based on proficiency in Danish.

    If you have specific reasons that prevent you from participating in the standard Danish course programme or from taking the Danish 2 Examination, dispensation may be granted. The Job Centre will decide whether a dispensation can be granted. If you receive the dispensation, you will get the supplementary benefit to the integration benefit based on proficiency in Danish.

  • If you become sick, you may be temporarily excused from participating in your activities in your integration programme. You should always discuss any serious illness with your case worker.

    The integration contract includes the offer of a medical check-up to determine whether you have any physical or mental health problems. The check-up will determine whether you need further tests or treatment. Your general practitioner must use an interpreter if necessary.

    In Denmark, you must pay out of pocket for dental services and for medicines. You may, however, apply for subsidies to pay these costs.

    ‌Apply for financial support to cover extraordinary expenses‌

  • In Denmark, everyone pays income tax. The tax collected pays for health services, schools, roads and many other things. Once you are registered as a taxpayer, you can log in on the website of the Danish Customs and Tax Administration (Skat) to see your tax information.

    Go to Skat (skat.dk)